Trek has been an industry leader for quite some time and the Trek Roscoe 7 provides a quality bike to not just get you in the game, but keep you there.
If there is one thing COVID has taught our society, it is the need to be outdoors exploring and getting some much needed exercise. What better way to do this, then to go out and mountain biking!
Off Grid Essential founder, Mike, and his wife Carmen both have the 2020 Trek Roscoe 7s and when we arrived to Colorado this summer gave us the opportunity to take them out on the trail to see what the hype was all about. As previous experienced road and triathlon riders, we were excited to enter into the mountain biking arena and had a baseline of what we wanted.
A 1x drivetrain, hydraulic brakes, tubeless ready rims, and an air spring fork were a must for us. We wanted a somewhat entry level bike that would give us the features that would last us for a few years. And this is exactly what the Trek Roscoe 7 has. We also wanted a hardtail. Reason for this was everything I kept reading said to enter into this world with a hardtail to ensure you had proper form before entering the full suspension bikes.
On to Trek Roscoe 7. This is a mid-fat trail hardtail. Below are some quick facts about this bike.
Trek Roscoe 7 Quick Facts:
- Price: $1279.99
- Seven Sizes: XS, S, M, M/L, L, XL, and XXL
- Three Colors Schemes: Factory Orange/Metallic Gunmetal, Aloha Green/Battleship Blue, and Dinister Black
Trek Roscoe 7 Components
- Saddle: Size XS, S, M, Bontrager Arvada, steel rails, 138mm width
- Size: M/L, L, XL, XXL, TranzX JD-YSP18, 100mm travel, internal routing, 31.6mm, 361mm length
- Seatpost: See Size Specific below:
- Size: XS, S, M, TranzX JD-YSP18, 100mm travel, internal routing, 31.6mm, 361mm length
- Size: M/L, L, XL, XXL, TranzX JD-YSP18, 130mm travel, internal routing, 31.6mm, 425mm length
- Handlebar: See Size Specific below:
- Size: XS, Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 720mm width
- Size: S, M, M/L, L, XL, XXL, Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 750mm width
- Stem Size: XS, S, M, Bontrager Rhythm Comp, 31.8mm, Knock Block, 0 degree, 50mm length
- Size: M/L, L, XL, XXL, Bontrager Rhythm Comp, 31.8mm, Knock Block, 0 degree, 60mm length
- Grips: Bontrager XR Trail Comp, nylon lock-on
- Headset: Semi-integrated, loose ball bearing, 1-1/8” top, 1.5” bottom
- Brake: Shimano MT200 hydraulic disc
- Brake Rotor: See Size Specific below:
- Size: XS, S, M, M/L, L, XL, XXL, Shimano RT26, 160mm, 6-bolt
- Size: M, M/L, L, XL, XXL, Shimano RT26, 180mm, 6-bolt
Trek Roscoe 7 Drivetrain
- Shifter: SRAM SX Eagle, 12 speed
- Rear Derailluer: SRAM SX Eagle
- Crank: Size: See Size Specific below
- XS, S, M, SRAM SX Eagle, GXP, 30T steel ring, Boost, 170mm length
- Size: M/L, L, XL, XXL, SRAM SX Eagle, GXP, 30T steel ring, Boost, 175mm length
- Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Powerspline, 73mm, threaded cartridge, 118mm spindle
- Cassette: SRAM PG-1210 Eagle, 11-50, 12 speed
- Chain: SRAM SX Eagle, 12 speed
- Pedal: VP-536 nylon platform
- Chainring Size: 32T
Trek Roscoe 7 Frameset
- Frame: Alpha Gold Aluminum, tapered head tube, internal derailleur & dropper post routing, rack & kickstand mount, Boost141, 5mm QR
- Fork: See Sizes Below:
- Size: XS, RockShox Judy SL, Solo Air spring, TurnKey hydraulic lockout, tapered steerer, 42mm offset, Boost110, 15mm Maxle Stealth, 100mm travel
- Size: XS, RockShox Judy SL, Solo Air spring, TurnKey lockout, tapered steerer, Boost110, 15mm Maxle Stealth, 100mm travel
- Size: S, M, M/L, RockShox Judy SL, Solo Air spring, TurnKey lockout, tapered steerer, Boost110, 15mm Maxle Stealth, 120mm travel
- Max Compatible Fork Travel: 120mm (XS: 100mm)
Trek Roscoe 7 Wheels
- Front Hub: Formula DC-511, 6-bolt, Boost110, 15mm thru axle
- Rear Hub: Formula DC-2241, alloy, 6-bolt, Shimano 8/9/10 freehub, Boost141, 5mm QR
- Rim: Bontrager Line 40, Tubeless Ready, 28-hole, 40mm width, presta valve
Trek Roscoe 7 Spokes:
- Size: XS, S, M, M/L, L, XL, XXL, 14g, stainless
- Size: XS, S, M, M/L, L, XL, XXL, 14g, stainless steel, black
Trek Roscoe 7 Tires:
- Size: XS, S, M, M/L, L, XL, XXL, Maxxis Rekon, tubeless, 60 tpi, 27.5 x 2.80”
- Size: XS, S, M, M/L, L, XL, Bontrager XR3 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, Inner Strength sidewall, aramid bead, 120tpi, 27.5 x 2.80”
- Rim Strip: Bontrager TLR
- Max Tire Size: 27.5 x 2.80″ or 29 x 2.40″
- Weight: Size M, 14.84 kg / 32.72 lbs (with tubes)
- Weight Limit: 300lbs
Please visit Trek for any additional details by clicking here.
Trek Roscoe 7 Review
I am 5’11” and went with a Size Large for my Trek Roscoe 7, and my wife is 5’7” and went with a men’s Size Medium/Large. We both chose the Dinister Black color scheme, with plans to eventually upgrade our pedals to add a little color (blue for mine, and red for hers).
The color of our Trek Roscoe 7 is just what we wanted. It truly has this rad look! The yellow Maxxis on the tires stands out off the all black bike. The dirt and dust collects all over and shows that you are putting some work in on the trails…this bike was built to have some fun.
If you are new to trail riding, then the Trek Roscoe 7 is perfect for you! There is a sense of confidence you get when hitting the trails on this bike. The traction is unreal. Those big fat tires handle the dirt and gravel with ease.
The suspension is nice, handling those bumps and pot holes on the technical trails that seem to be unavoidable. I have not tested out any jumps as I am not there confidence wise yet, but I have all the confidence in the world that it will hold up just fine. The locked suspension feature is great when you need a sustained level of pedal efficiency.
Trek Roscoe 7s 1x drivetrain is absolutely phenomenal. It is smooth, changing gears with this fluidity that keeps you motivated when climbing that tough incline. On my first trail ride we were approaching a significant incline and while I had some momentum, I knew I was going to have to get pretty low in the gears to make the climb and had a fear that I would have to come to stop and walk. Did I? Nope, I just lowered the gears, put my head down and charged!
Psst! Brining you’re doggo camping with you? You need to check out our Camping With A Doggo Checklist, you wont regret it!
Did someone say dropper seatpost? Being new to mountain biking, I really did not think anything of this feature, but I have used it every time I get on my Trek Roscoe 7…every time! When your roaring downhill it is nice to drop that seatpost to avoid taking a beating. My wife, well she loves it as well.
If there was one area I wish they put a little more into this bike it would be the grips and pedals. This may sound little, but the I wish the grips had a little more padding to them. And the pedals, well they are just basic pedals and most people upgrade to clip-ins or better platforms anyways. And I want to be clear that they are not horrible, just for the price point wish they would just put a little more upgrades to these two areas.
The Trek Roscoe 7 is a little heavy when compared to other brands…but for me this is not a show stopper. And to be quite honest, I probably would not even notice the minimal weight difference of the other brands. Everything is heavy when you are on an incline.
We both know there are some other entry…ish level mountain bikes out there that offer the same specifications (maybe even better), but that initial ride had us sold. Trek is a well-known industry leader, and we have never been disappointed. Another great option if this bike is out of your price range is the Trek Marlin 5 which I wrote a review on here.
We have owned Giant and Scott bikes in the past along with Trek, and there is something that has us always going back to Trek.
Still unsure? Well head to the nearest Trek store and try one out for yourself, you will not be disappointed. And with the features of the Roscoe 7, you will not have to upgrade anytime soon if you find yourself really enjoying mountain biking.
…..and if your gonna be out adventuring your gonna poop. Check out our write-up on the Best Camping Toilet Option. Stop acting like you won’t need it!
8 Essential Items For Mountain Bikers
- Crankbrothers M19 Multitool
- Osprey Raptor 10 Hydration pack
- Crankbrothers Flat Stamp
- ROAM Phone Bike Mount
- Vibrelli Mini Bike Pump Flat Tire Repair
- Yakima Gatekeeper Tailgate Bike Pad – (Full Review on this, here)
- Kryptonite Evolution U-Lock
- Terry Women’s Metro Mountain bike Shorts
- Troy Lee Designs Men’sMountain Bike Shorts
Follow us on Instagram!